I finally got the better part of the Andre Roubo workbench done. I should add, I have the whole thing assembled and the front vice on, but I've yet to design and add my tail vice.

I'm waiting until I have my tail vice designed and built before I drill the holes in the top my workbench so that I can be sure they line up properly with whatever I come up with. I'd have to have things all askew! I already have a tail vice screw that I'll use so it's simply reviewing different tail vice designs and using or adapting one for my own.

Somewhere in the process I managed to lose my workbench book written by Chris Schwartz. What a pain! I had sketched out all my pieces on paper to refer to so it wasn't a complete catastrophe though.

If you have any particular tail vice design that you really like then please send me an email or leave a comment below! I'd really appreciate hearing what works or doesn't from someone who has already been through this process.

I also have a Part I and a Part II for you to read!

I had never tried hand carving signs before, but I figured there's no time like the present to learn. I volunteered (again!) for the local community garden to make a sign for the trail going into the garden area.

I had never done hand carved lettering before but I figured it couldn't be too bad. After starting the project, I soon wished the sign was shorter than "Hamilton Wenham Community Garden". That's a lot of letters to hand carve with just a chisel!

I think it cam out okay for a first attempt. I learned a few tricks that I'll use on my next sign -- like making sure I cut deeply and cleanly when making cuts with the grain so it won't accidentally remove more wood than I was planning.

It's hard to decide to cut down a tree. Especially when it's perfectly healthy. In this case, the blue spruce was just too big and too close to the house. It was even too big to be a Christmas tree! It had to go. Goodbye tree!

Our town is making a community garden and I volunteered to make a picnic table to donate for people to use and enjoy. I figured that a table would be a nice place to sit down and enjoy some really fresh vegetables -- for those who can't wait to get home and enjoy them! It also makes a great place for gardeners to get together and socialize and trade gardening tips.

I used some pretty standard 2"x6" lumber for the main tresses and supports with 1" dimensional lumber for the seats and tabletop. I used the quintessential and timeless picnic table plan for this project.

As you can see from the photos below, it wasn't a complicated project and the results were excellent! (Note: I really hadn't finished connecting the pieces in the last shots -- I was just dry fitting them to make sure things were good. I wanted to really assemble it on the gardening site to make it easier to transport!)